Insect Facts You Never Wanted to Know
Stern Environmental Group had a great post recently with some interesting insect facts we thought you’d enjoy.
Insects have been part of the planet’s ecosystem since time began. In America, some of the celebrity insects include cockroaches, bedbugs, mosquitoes, bees, ants, and spiders. While we may know some of the basic facts about insects residing in our area, there is quite the intrigue surrounding some of these same creepy crawlies.
- Adult bedbugs can go for an entire year without feeding
- Ants live in colonies that can consist of a half million residents
- Every spider web is unique with no two ever the same
- Black widow venom packs more of a punch than that of a rattlesnake
- Queen ants can live 15 years
- Honeybees are responsible for more deaths worldwide than poisonous snakebites
- Citronella hurts a mosquito’s feet
- Ants do not need to sleep
- Your bed may hold billions of dust mites
- Dragonflies can hit speeds of 50 to 60 mph